Climate finance is urgently needed to enable people and communities to deal with the increasingly worsening impacts of the climate crisis. It is also vital for the transformation of our energy and economic systems to prevent climate catastrophe and build equitable, post-carbon, just societies. The Green Climate Fund has a vital role to play in Climate Finance, and civil society groups must ensure that the GCF does fulfill this role to the maximum benefit of people and communities. We hope this website will be useful in empowering and enabling civil society groups for this purpose.
GCFWatch: Towards a CSO GCF monitor
GCF Watch is a Southern CSO-led initiative established to help promote and accelerate Southern CSO readiness to engage the GCF as its operations shift to national arenas, in all the multi-faceted roles taken up by civil society, e.g. as project or Fund stakeholders, Fund or project and program monitors, participants considering to access the fund, or as providers of input to project planning, implementation or evaluation.
GCFWatch.org was started because of the following challenges:
- GCF is gaining speed now, with first significant funding pledges arriving
- Governments are moving and have identified their NDAs
- Good CSO coordination around the GCF meetings, but no comprehensive and consistent strategy and overview available what is happening where
- Readiness building is on its way for governments, but CSOs probably more struggling with finding their way through the GCF jungle, keeping track with developments
THE NEED FOR A MORE COORDINATED APPROACH OF INFORMATION SHARING AND READINESS BUILDING IS DAUNTING
The GCFWatch.org aims to:
- Share information on GCF processes in different countries more effectively
- Contribute to enabling local society keeping pace with national discussions
- Track more regularly and efficiently in-country progress regarding GCF
- Need for an information hub independent from GCF Secretariat
- Serve as one stop shop for GCF CSO information
If you share our interest, send us a message. All have something to share.